Review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Posted by: Big Marv // June 24, 2009 @ 1:47am
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen takes place 2 years after Transformers. The Autobots are secretly working with the Government to destroy the last remaining Decepticons. But the Decepticons regroup, bring Megatron back to life and deal a HUGE blow to the Autobots. It's up to the humans, Shia LeBouef and Hot Megan Fox to save the world.
Here's the story in its most basic form:
- Huge action sequence to start shows us Autobots working with the Government to kick some Decepticon toukus.
- Then Sam getting ready to go to college with a lot of forced slapstick between him and his parents.
- Sam finds a piece of the All Spark while packing, something happens that embeds a bunch of Cybertonian writing in his head, and that All Spark turns all the kitchen appliances into crazy killing machines.
- A bunch of scenes of Megan Fox showing everyone how hot she is. Michael Bay finds all sorts of ways to pose her, letting us know she's hot. Like straddling a bike as she paints it. Or bending over with lots of cleavage.
- Sam's parents take him to college. His roommates are conspiracy theory nerds and his mom gets high on Hash Brownies. Then talks about Sam's cherry getting popped. Yup, you read that right.
- Decepticons steal the piece of the All Spark that the Government was watching and use it to revive Megatron. By the way, in the last movie, the All Spark was used to kill Megatron. Please note, if someone stabs me with a knife, please don't use that knife to revive me.
- Somehow Megatron is the "Apprentice" and his "Master" is called "The Fallen", who seeks to take the sun's energy, thus destroying the world. And he has a machine that can do that... it's hidden in a pyramid.
- Something happens to the Autobots and Sam has to help them.
- The Decepticons try to destroy the world, but Optimus Prime lays the smackdown and saves the world.
Now along the way, this is what we get:
- Lots of forced humor. A mix of slapstick and toilet jokes.
- Virtually no focus on the Autobots from the first movie, instead made up Autobots created solely for comic relief.
- More personality is given to the Decepticons and I really like the way Megatron and Starscream interact.
- For some reason, Bumblebee can't talk again.
- There was a lot of action -- unfortunately I couldn't understand what or who was fighting what or whom.
- Lots and lots of ways to tell me Megan Fox is really, really hot. We get it Michael Bay... she's easy on the eyes. No close ups of her thumbs, though. Good thing. Google them, they're weird.
The Bottom Line:
I'm a HUGE Transformers fan. I drive around in a truck that has Autobot logos on it and an Autobot steering wheel cover. I really liked the last Transformers movie. Watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, I couldn't help thinking they were just trying too hard to be funny, trying too hard to be a kid's movie, and trying too hard to appeal to adults. From the slapstick and toilet jokes, to Bumblebee crying because Sam's leaving for college, to Sam's mom buzzing out on hash brownies... I just felt kind of lost. I think the movie is entertaining, but if you're any kind of Transformers fan, you just might feel the same way. I see no reason to have to try to please everyone. You can make a movie that the fanboys will like and it can be successful. Anybody remember a little movie called The Dark Knight?!? Made tons of money and loved by all.
The only real knock I had about the last movie was that the Transformers themselves were kinda hard to decipher on screen. It's a little better this time, with the exception of Devastator. I couldn't tell what was his arm, what was his leg or his head. In fact, the only thing you could see clearly were his balls. Yeah, bravo Mr. Bay. You gave Devastator a set of balls. For the 3rd movie, give yourself a set and make it decent.
2.5 out of 5 stars. It can be a fun ride for those who aren't that into Transformers or if you wanna see Megan Fox look all kinds of hot. But if you've got "The Touch", don't "Dare" see this one. (My Fellow Transformers fans know what that means.)
Tags: Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Autobots, Decepticons, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Michael Bay
Search SBM Archives