Late Night Lineups: October 13-17
Posted by: Paul Little // October 14, 2008 @ 6:17pm
Yes, I realize this is being posted a day late. Yesterday was Thanksgiving up here in Canada, and with that came lots of turkey, pumpkin pie, family... and forgetting to post this week's late night guests! My apologies for that. But I wanted to make sure to still get this posted, especially with one really big "must-see" guest that really could make headlines this week.
Here's the top 5 appearances not to miss this week (well 1 big one, and 4 that you might want to check out):
- Sen. John McCain (Thursday on Letterman) - A couple weeks ago, with the enonomic crisis hitting a new low, John McCain decided to suspend his campaign and head back to Washington to play Superman to the country's financial woes. In doing so, he called David Letterman and personally cancelled his appearance on The Late Show. Of course, when Dave later tapped into the live CBS feed while taping his show and saw McCain being interviewed by Katie Couric, he was not pleased -- and even less so when McCain didn't even leave NYC for another day or two. This "make up" apperance will be very interesting, because Letterman normally doesn't pull any punches with political guests, and after feeling he was snubbed and lied to, he'll likely go right after McCain on Thursday.
- Sen. Joe Biden (Thursday on Leno) - If the idea of an awkward grilling -- or at the very least a potential comedy trainwreck -- still can't get you to watch a Republican on late night television, you can always tune into The Tonight Show instead to watch the Democratic VP candidate. And while Biden has a tendancy to be frank and honest when appearing on talk shows, he also tends to stick his foot in his mouth or say too much, which could lead to some headline material over on NBC as well.
- Rob Corddry (Wednesday on Conan) - I may be biased because I was a big fan of Corddry's time on The Daily Show, plus I've seen him live twice (first when he appeared at a local college, and then in L.A. when he put together a cancer benefit at UCB Theatre). Even so, though, you can't deny he's a hilarious late night guest. Plus, apparently he's having another baby in a month, so you can bet there will be some potentially offensive jokes about that!
- Richard Lewis (Tuesday on Conan; Wednesday on Stewart) - If you don't know he is, you're either too young or you don't know comedy, but Richard Lewis has been one of the funniest stand-ups of the past 20 years. He used to make frequent apperances on both Late Night and The Daily Show, but hasn't been on either in quite some time. As longtime fans of both shows, it'll be nice to see his banter with Conan and his good friend Jon Stewart again.
- Tina Fey (Friday on Letterman) - She's the "it" comedienne right now, and for good reason. Her writing and acting on 30 Rock is helping to create one of the funniest comedies EVER, and she cleaned up at this year's Emmys. Plus, she's also creating buzz in political circles, first for looking a lot like Sarah Palin, and then nailing down her voice and mannerisms while playing her in a series of Saturday Night Live sketches.
The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (NBC)
- Mo 10/13: Selma Blair, Katt Williams, Amy Lee
- Tu 10/14: Dakota Fanning, Christopher Meloni, Kings of Leon
- We 10/15: Queen Latifah, Zac Efron, Kenny Chesney
- Th 10/16: Sen. Joe Biden, Colin Farrell, Lenka
- Fr 10/17: Daniel Craig, Kevin Smith, Black Kids
The Late Show with David Letterman (CBS)
- Mo 10/13: Sarah Silverman, the Teutuls, Ra Ra Riot
- Tu 10/14: Josh Brolin, Amy Sedaris, Blues Traveler
- We 10/15: Martin Short, Marv Albert
- Th 10/16: Sen. John McCain, Ne-Yo
- Fr 10/17: Tina Fey, Frank Caliendo, Tim Montana
Late Night with Conan O'Brien (NBC)
- Mo 10/13: Christian Slater, Brian Posehn, Flobots
- Tu 10/14: Harry Connick Jr., Richard Lewis, O.A.R.
- We 10/15: Bill Murray, Rob Corddry, Ray Lamontagne
- Th 10/16: Josh Brolin, Shaun Ellis & Helen Jeffs, Nikka Costa
- Fr 10/17: Edward Norton, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Mike Birbiglia
The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (CBS)
- Mo 10/13: Jack Black, Conor Oberst, a comedy sketch with Tom Arnold (Repeat)
- Tu 10/14: Kristen Bell, Josh Radnor, a comedy sketch with Samuel L. Jackson (Repeat)
- We 10/15: Eva Longoria Parker, Neal McDonough (Repeat)
- Th 10/16: Paulina Porizkova, Ken Tucker, Tally Hall (Repeat)
- Fr 10/17: Will Ferrell, Jean Michel Cousteau (Repeat)
Jimmy Kimmell Live (ABC)
- Mo 10/13: Rob Lowe, MMA heavyweight fighter Kimbo Slice, Chef Chris Bianco (Repeat)
- Tu 10/14: Chris O'Donnell, the latest "Dancing with the Stars" castoff, Scars on Broadway
- We 10/15: David Alan Grier, Amaury Nolasco, Jessie Baylin
- Th 10/16: Mark Wahlberg, Dania Ramirez
- Fr 10/17: Mila Kunis, Ben Stein
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central, CTV)
- Mo 10/13: Amity Shlaes
- Tu 10/14: Ari Fleischer
- We 10/15: Richard Lewis
- Th 10/16: Robert Reich
The Colbert Report (Comedy Central, CTV)
- Mo 10/13: Bethany McLean, Kathleen Parker
- Tu 10/14: Joseph Stiglitz
- We 10/15: Tina Brown
- Th 10/16: Brent Glass, Robert Greenwald
Last Call with Carson Daly (NBC)
- Mo 10/13: Eddie Izzard, Cat Power (Repeat)
- Tu 10/14: Thom Beers, Serj Tankian (Repeat)
- We 10/15: Megan McCain, Anthony Green (Repeat)
- Th 10/16: Clark Duke, Panic at the Disco (Repeat)
- Fr 10/17: Jamie Kennedy, Panic at the Disco (Repeat)
The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos (CBC)
- Mo 10/13: Richard Branson, Alice Cooper
- Tu 10/14: Ricky Gervais, Tim Robbins (Repeat)
- We 10/15: Stephen Bronfman, Finesse Mitchell
- Th 10/16: Kevin O'Leary, Robert Herjavec
- Fr 10/17: James Cameron, Robin Thicke (Repeat)
Tags: Late Night, The Late Show, The Tonight Show, The Daily Show, Kimmell
Paul Little is the founder and Managing Editor of ShowbizMonkeys.com. When not interviewing his favourite musicians and comedians, he can also be found putting on and promoting music and comedy events with The Purple Room in Winnipeg, or co-producing the live comedy game show Pants on Fire. (@comedygeek)
Original Comments Posted (4)
There are good musical guests this week! Jessie Baylin! Ray LaMontagne! Kings of Leon!
Oct 15, 2008 2:09pm
Paul Little says...
I've got the PVR set to catch Baylin on Kimmell tonight (and of course, every Conan is already recorded)! Gotta love the Hotel Café peeps.
Oct 15, 2008 6:49pm
Paul you silly goose.
Oct 21, 2008 1:20am
Oct 21, 2008 1:20am
Comments Posted ()
Search SBM Archives